Subject: Boot trouble on OF3 machine
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/09/2004 10:45:27
I'm unable to boot my new installation of NetBSD. I used sysinst to put
NetBSD on the internal harddisk of my eMac (Open Firmware 3). I've got
Mac OS X on an external FireWire disk.

I can boot the ofwboot.xcf from the external fw disk, but I have no
luck with regards to the netebsd kernel. My boot syntax for the
boot-file is somehow wrong.

 > boot fw/[lost of numbers I don't remember],\ofwboot.xcf hd:2,/netbsd

It gets the ofwboot.xcf loaded but says: Cannot open hd:2,/netbsd and
ends up with a "Boot:" prompt.

I also tried

 > boot fw/[lost of numbers I don't remember],\ofwboot.xcf
ide0/disk@0:2,/netbsd

with the same effect.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Here's my output from pdisk:

Top level command (? for help): L
/dev/rdisk0  map block size=512
    #:                 type name                 length   base     (
size )
    1:  Apple_partition_map Apple                     2 @ 1
    2:        NetBSD/macppc NetBSD             2147483647 @ 4
(1024.0G)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=78165360
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

/dev/rdisk1  map block size=512
    #:                 type name                  length   base      (
size )
    1:  Apple_partition_map Apple                     63 @ 1
    2:           Apple_Free                            0+@ 64
    3:            Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_2 291407552 @ 262208
(139.0G)
    4:           Apple_Free                            0+@ 291669760
    5:            Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_3  20649888 @ 291931904 (
  9.8G)
    6:           Apple_Free                            0+@ 312581792

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=312581808
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0