Subject: Re: CD-ROM Issue With 9500/120
To: Daniel Bolgheroni <dbolgheroni@uol.com.br>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/18/2003 11:04:37
On Saturday, October 18, 2003, at 06:32  AM, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:

> I have a 9500/120 I want to install NetBSD. But I saw in the Supported
> Hardware page that I may need to disconnect the CD-ROM to boot from any
> device.

Yes, I got several reports that the Apple supplied CD-ROM seems to
conflict with Open Firmware.  They said Open Firmware couldn't boot
from any SCSI device if the Apple supplied CD-ROM was hooked up to the
SCSI bus.

> Must I have to disconnect CD-ROM even to boot the installation kernel?
> If so,
> then I cannot install NetBSD with a CD-ROM media in this machine,
> right? Only
> ethernet installation?

Floppy, ethernet, SCSI Zip drive (or other HD), or a non-Apple CD-ROM.

> After some tries with 'boot cd:0 NETBSD.MACPPC' and some commands like
> that to
> initialize NetBSD/macppc install CD-R, all I see is Mac OS.

Your system has Open Firmware 1.0.5 -- this syntax doesn't work.
Please read the INSTALL notes.  If they're not clear, let me know which
parts and I'll try to make the wording better.

   -- MW