Subject: starmax4000/160 - lost in space
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Philipp Buehler <lists@fips.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/19/2003 14:05:43
Hi,

ok, I am stuck.

Machine: Motorola Starmax4000/160 (well, actually it runs a 200mhz board now)
current OS: MacOS 7.6
OFW: unknown

Short:
Apparently none of the common key-combinations work for entering OFW..
SysDisk doesnt work (like FAQ says) and the provided Boot Variables
wont work, too.. :(

Longer:
This machine has no Ethernet and the FAQ says I cannot use dd(1) for
writing DiskCopy .. so d'uh

Then I tried bootvariables.sit.hqx, which a friend of mine unpacked
for me (no MacOS elsewhere here, and the 7.6 is "plain"). But 7.6
(besides being fscking unstable) only recognizes the file as 'pc document'
and doesnt run it.

Right now I see two (maybe three) ways out of this:
- get ethernet running in this thing:
   - what card could i use (i've *several* here, anyone knows by hand what
     7.6 would accept)
   - the TCP/IP configuration menu just barfs at "No Open Transport"
     installed - oh well, I might use appletalk, too

- one could provide a .img file w/ boot-variables on it, that can be
  written on floppy w/ dd(1) [most easiest, no? :>]

- I get the HDD to my G4 (which runs BSD - but no MacOS), and "somehow"
  (pointers?) get a bootblock on there, which the current OFW settings
  would boot into netbsd. (like via HFS partition running of /ofwboot
  or such..)

More information required? Any Ideas? :)
If I missed some other FAQ/INSTALL entry, just shoot me (with a bullet
 pointing to the appr. section ;) )

 MacOS is giving me a fried brain :)
 I am not in fear of any cross-compile or such, just throw possible
 ways at me ...

ciao
--
Philipp Buehler, aka fips | sysfive.com GmbH | BOfH | NUCH | <double-p>

#1: Break the clue barrier!
#2: Already had buzzword confuseritis ?