Subject: Re: serial ports: how to access?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/12/2002 15:19:40
At 2:05 PM -0800 3/12/02, Bill Studenmund wrote:

:)On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, paul beard wrote:
:)
:)> But how do I access the port? what's the device? I see dmesg says
:)> it uses zstty0 as console and it admits to the existence of a
:)> zstty1, but I don't see it in /dev: what do I aim /dev/stylewriter
:)> at?
:)
:)zstty0 <-> /dev/tty00
:)zstty1 <-> /dev/tty01

I gotta say, I've been pretty frustrated trying to figure out which of the
zillion /dev/*tty* correspond to the autoconf line describing what hardware
was recognized.

Maybe we could spit out something like this at boot time.  Since the kernel
doesn't know device files (and the root partition isn't mounted during
autoconf), maybe it could be a userland program that runs as part of rc
that describes the maps between device name and /dev entries.  And if it's
userland, it could spit out the same info when a new tty device is attached
(such as an USB modem or serial port).

  -- MW