Subject: Question about load-base
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/18/2001 10:41:47
I have a question about load-base. I realize it's in the archives but I'm
reasking as a way to mention a course of action below.

The question is: for "partition 0" loading on OF 1 & 2, does it have to be
set to where the code will expect to run? Can it be set somewhere else?
*Must* it be set somewhere else?

Where this is going is we're looking at changing the FAQ. I don't like the
proposed change (reset to default) as it means undoing some of what
Apple's tools do.

What I'd much rather to is change ofwboot.xcf and ofwboot.elf so that they
load happily with load-base set to 600000, the default. Since this number
is a define in a makefile, this is easy to do.

That way you won't have to change anything from Apple's settings.

The essence of the question though is will the "partition 0" code need to
have its load address at 600000? If so, that means we need ofwboot.xcf and
ofwboot.elf that load not at 600000, and ofwboot that loads at 600000.

I have just made a patch which will achieve this, but want to make sure we
need it before sending it out.

Take care,

Bill