Subject: Re: Install OF problems on 5500
To: BT OpenWorld , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/05/2001 15:31:50
At 8:14 PM +0000 12/5/01, BT OpenWorld wrote:
>Is a successful boot pretty much instantaneous, I mean, do acknowledgements
>start flying through the terminal straight away?

Well, some kinds of unsuccessful boots are pretty instantaneous.  For
a CD-ROM you should get some kind of indication that the boot has
started fairly quickly.  Completion may take a little time.
(Actually that's true for a floppy too.)

>I've burned a couple CD's of the ISO using toast titanium 5.02, one as a
>disc image (creates a hybrid ISO 9660) and another as ISO 9660 with pretty
>much everything turned off (by dragging the contents of the disc image to a
>folder and burning the contents of that folder to the top level of a new
>disc).
>
>Now, I know that my CD scsi ID is 3 (says scsi bus0 ID=3 in apple system
>profiler), but when I do any of the following ...
>
>O > dir scsi/sd@3:0,\
>O > dir scsi-int/sd@3:0,\

For a plain ISO you should try partition 1.  This machine is OF 1 or
OF 2, right?  If you can do a dir it's almost certain you can do a
boot (though not quite the other way around).  You should be able to
do this with an ISO disk.  Make sure you have all the funny hidden
extensions turned off in the option dialogs in Toast (no experience
with 5).  You might want to leave the version numbers on (;1 ending
to file names) though I've done it both ways OK.

>load-base           600000              4000

Just for kicks you could try 500000.  If you can do a dir but can't
boot you definitely should try it.

Is there a cd devalias?  If so you should try that.  "dir cd:1,\"