Subject: Re: any hardware expert here?
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/10/2001 20:01:56
>Hi!
>
>My powercomputing died a few weeks ago. Today I bought a 7500 to replace
>it, but I run into nasty problems
>
>I just took the 604/180MHz daugter board from the powercomputing and
>installed it into the 7500. It does not boot anymore. I have the startup
>chime, and then nothing. No way of getting into OF, and it does not even
>try to boot MacOS.
>
>With the original 601/100MHz, it works fine, it boots MacOS, and I can
>get into OF, but the 601 is not supported.

Some of the Power Computing boxes had faster system bus speeds,
so their daughtercards do not work in the "standard" Apple machines.
One of their claims to fame was their faster system
bus speeds.  This was a problem in some areas because their Apple-designed
motherboards didn't always *quite* support where they pushed it.
My bet is that this is why it does not work.

I've seen the same thing, and I doubt that anything you can do with
resets on the motherboard will help.  We know you can put "standard"
upgrade cards (G3, 604e, 604/120, etc) in the 7500 proc slot, and it'll
work.  Lots of folks have done it.

-dgl-