Subject: Re: Update to OS 9.1 makes NetBSD unbootable?
To: Martin J. Laubach <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/09/2001 15:58:07
At 7:57 PM +0100 3/9/01, Martin J. Laubach wrote:
>| As another datapoint, I upgraded to 9.1 via the downloaded installer and
>| had no problems.
>
>  In the meantime, I brought the machine up via netbooting and
>indeed, the BSD disklabel was gone. I'm inclined to think that
>something with my partitioning is wrong as my A/UX partitions
>is the _first_ partition on the disk, so the MacOS upgrade may
>have overwritten something in an area it thinks is available.
>
>  Thanks for the help though, it was good to hear OF wasn't
>hosed.

The 9.1 update will update disk drivers.  A NetBSD disklabel'ed disk
still has a "fake" Apple Partition Map which may be sufficient to
make the 9.1 upgrade process think it should do something to the
Apple Partition Map or the (nonexistent) disk driver.  If so this
would explain what you saw.

It is conceivable that if you re-disklabel (and re-installboot?) with
*exactly* the same parameters that you could recover your original
NetBSD partitions.  (If only the superblock and the disklabel and the
boot code were hosed then fsck could recover the missing information.)

This information absolutely has no warranty for any purpose whatsoever ;-)

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.