Subject: Power Macintosh 6500/300 with 3rd party video
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/02/2001 20:32:07
I had some success with netbsd on a Quadra 660av, so I figured I'd
tryin it on my newest Mac.

I burned a copy of the macppc iso image. I have previously tried to
deal with various Linuxes on this Mac and plan to use the space that
the was previously used by Linux.

I couldn't get to the Open Firmware. I just wind up restarting my
mac. I have a third party video card and I'm wondering if that is what
is stopping me. I could plug the monitor into the other Mac
video. Right now I'm using an ATI card in one PCI slot and ethernet in
the other. I downloaded System Disk 2.3.1 Of105 patch and ran it. It
seems to have worked, but nothing really happens.

When I run it is starts with a message that says something about my
machine not being supported. I blithely ignoreit and go on and try to
put in the right values to boot off of my CD and start the
installation.

1. Do I need to move my monitor to the orignal video out that came
with it to use Open Firmware?

2. What values should I put in to start the install from the CD and
then to boot into NetBSD in the future?

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us

PS Any chance in hell that there is a way to get my three button Info
(that is the brand) to work like a three button Unix mouse?