Subject: Re: iMac modem setup. Was: Clarification request: PPP and NetBSD
To: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
From: Andrew Howard <ahoward@sagan.usc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/22/2001 14:05:55
On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Donald Lee wrote:

> I would be very interested if you get this to work.  The only serial
> ports I have working so far on MacPPC NetBSD are Cyclades 8Y (PCI card)
>
> My experience is that once you depart from the "default" serial config,
> it stops working.  This makes ppp, and getty non-functional except
> for the "default" console.
>
> Please post your results, esp. if you get it working.
>
> -dgl-

I finally had a chance to try this yesterday.  And no, it did not work.
I get exactly the same result -- no response at all from the modem.  Just
in case there is something funny going on with the device names, I also
tried some other likely suspects.  Once again: no response.

		Andrew

> At 9:09 PM -0600 2/1/01, John Valdes wrote:
> >On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 01:14:32PM -0800, Andrew Howard wrote:
> >>
> >> Ok, so here's a dumb question: does anyone know which device corresponds
> >> to the modem on an iMac?  I presume tty01, but I'm just guessing.  Second
> >> question: has anyone been able to get the modem working on an iMac?  I've
> >> spent some time with cu, but I havent been able to elicit a response.
> >
> >I don't know about the iMac, but on my PowerBook G3 (Lombard), the
> >internal modem is tty00.  I'd guess it'd be the same on your iMac.
> >
> >To use tty00, you'll first need to disable the getty process that's
> >normally listening on it by default on NetBSD 1.5.  To do this, edit
> >/etc/ttys, and, in the line for tty00, change the "on" to "off".
> >Then, "kill -HUP 1" (that is, send signal 1 (HUP) to the init
> >process).  init will then terminate the getty on tty00 and won't
> >bother restarting it.  Next, change the ownership & permissions on
> >/dev/tty00 to match those of /dev/tty01 (typically:
> >
> >  crw-------  1 uucp  wheel  12, 0 Feb  1 14:53 /dev/tty00
> >
> >).  You can then use "cu" or "tip" (I prefer tip) to talk to the
> >modem.  For tip, add yourself to the "dialer" group (or make
> >/usr/bin/tip world executable), then simply type "tip com0" to connect
> >to tty00 (the "com0" comes from /etc/remote).  If tip tells you
> >"connected" you should now be able to talk to the modem.  Enter "at"
> >and return, and see if the modem responses w/ "OK".  To exit tip,
> >enter "~.".
> >
> >Once you can talk to the modem, you can then configure ppp or
> >whatever.
> >
> >John

Andrew Howard                           email: ahoward@pollux.usc.edu
Department of Computer Science          http:  www-robotics.usc.edu/~ahoward
University of Southern California       phone: 1 (213) 740 6416
Los Angeles, CA, U.S.A. 90089-0781      fax:   1 (213) 740 7512
    << Insert pithy saying here >>>