Subject: Re: USB hotplug?
To: NetBSD/macppc list <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/15/2001 11:13:00
On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 11:09:26PM -0600, I wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 05:37:32AM +0100, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> > I wrote:
> >
> > > Should USB hot plug work?
> >
> > So, in short, I'm not sure why its not working for you.
> > [,,,]
> > Do you have this problem only with the root hub (i.e. the one on
> > your machine) or further hubs plugged in to the machine?
>
> This is with the root hub built into the PowerBook (I don't have an
> external hub).  It's possible there's something wrong w/ the USB in my
> PowerBook; when installing Palm Desktop s/w on the MacOS side, it
> didn't always recognize my Palm USB serial port adapter; I assumed
> this was flakiness in the Palm USB drivers though.  The mouse always
> seems to work, but I haven't tested it that much though (can't make
> use of the other buttons under MacOS, so there wasn't much point... ;) ).

OK, I've done some more testing, and I can consistently hot-plug the
USB mouse under MacOS w/o any problems.  I've tracked down an external
USB hub (an Apple USB extended keyboard :) ), and if I plug that in to
my PB and boot NetBSD, I can now successfully hot-plug the mouse into
the keyboard.  Whenever I plug it in w/ the system running, the kernel
reports:

  ums0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
  ums0: Primax Electronics Sony PCGA-UMS1, rev 1.00/4.41, addr 4, iclass 3/1
  ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.
  wsmouse1 at ums0

and when I unplug it I see:

  uhub1: port error, restarting port 2
  ums0: at uhub1 port 2 (addr 4) disconnected
  wsmouse1 detached
  ums0 detached

So it looks like NetBSD isn't properly handling the root hub in the
powerbook:

  ohci0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0: AT&T Microelectronics USB Host Controller (rev. 0x12)
  ohci0: interrupting at irq 28
  ohci0: OHCI version 1.0
  usb0 at ohci0: USB revision 1.0
  uhub0 at usb0
  uhub0: AT&T Microelect OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

John