Subject: installboot Test Report
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/08/2001 16:17:49
Finally got a chance to try out the experimental version of
installboot that preserves Apple Partition Maps.

I can report that it seems to do no harm.  I copied all the
distribution files to sd0a, and then got the new versions of
installboot and bootxx on the root of that partition inside the
install kernel.  I then used the new installboot with the -v option
and copied the output by hand:

./installboot -v ./user/mdec/ofwboot ./bootxx /dev/rsd0c
boot: ./usr/mdec/ofwboot
proto: ./bootxx
device: /dev/rsd0c
proto bootblock size: 1024
entry point: 0x006c0000
./usr/mdec/ofwboot: block numbers: 1987952 <other numbers> 1988048
Blocks are 1024 bytes for 2 blocks
Found partition map with 63 entries.
Found free space in partition 9
Updating freespace partition 9.
Partition now starts at block 4193407 for size 8.
Expanding active partition count to 10.
Installing new boot blocks.
Size 2 blocks, starting at 4193405

After doing this I can't boot to scsi-int/sd@0:0 or any other
partition number.  Don't recall the exact message but it's something
about forcing partition 0.  If I leave the ':0' off then it gives
something even more terse like claim failed.  If someone would
suggest a specific boot command to try I'll make sure to copy the
exact error message.

The machine (a 8500) can still boot MacOS when I type bye.  After I
got it back into OF and fixed the variables as usual I could do a
'boot scsi-int/sd@3:1,OFWBOOT.XCF netbsd.gz' to start the install
kernel from cdrom.  The above had just failed when this worked so I
know nothing had changed to acount for it.

I also saved a dd of the first 10 blocks of the disk if that's of any
use to anyone.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.