Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on 7300/200
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: M L Riechers <mlr@rse.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/01/2001 18:12:49
On Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:27:51 -0800, Henry B. Hotz pondered thusly:

>  Usually it comes up as:  gee it would be nice if someone would make
>  NetBSD boot from BootX.  The latter is under GPL, but it could be
>  handled the same way we handle gcc & friends, and the author has said
>  he will accept NetBSD patches.  Also BootX will boot the older,
>  non-OF PPC Macs giving us a route to supporting them with derivatives
>  of the Mac68k drivers.
>
>  The down side is that BootX is not a NetBSD product and all of us
>  understand the tools we have a lot better than we understand BootX.
>
>  Feel like working on any of this stuff?  Then you get to choose how to fix it!

Well said.

Sometimes we miss the oportunity to give others a glimpse of how and
why certain things are done (or not done), and our motivations behind
what we do, and the constraints we have to work under. This is a nice
little gem that both explains our booting/OF frustrations, and answers
a very common new user question.

Any chance you could get it somewhere near a FAQ or How-To?

-Mike