Subject: Re: CD-ROM booting
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <Keiki_SUNAGAWA@yokogawa.co.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/17/2000 09:29:02
Hi,

Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

Todd> On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Michael Wolfson wrote:

Todd> What I now need to find out is exactly what's needed
Todd> in order to make a self-booting *HFS* CD-ROM.  In the
Todd> Wasabi 1.5 distribution, we're already going to have
Todd> one CD carrying a HFS overlay partition (mkhybrid)
Todd> because I want the mac68k tools to be directly
Todd> runnable.  This should make booting macppc easy.

It's great to hear that.  Do you add `-hfs -part' options?

Todd> What files, under what pathnames, need to go where?
Todd> (Note that the boot floppy appears to be a real floppy
Todd> with a partition map, so using that as a boot file is
Todd> probably not useful; I'd likely need a ramdisk kernel
Todd> before it gets written to a disk image.)

I think that we need two boot files for various versions of
Open Firmware -- `ofwboot.xcf' for Open Firmware 1.x and
2.x, `ofwboot.elf' for 2.x and 3.x.  Installation kernel
also needed, of course.  hfsboot might be.

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <Keiki_SUNAGAWA@yokogawa.co.jp>