Subject: Installation Report
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/14/2000 11:52:18
I have been trying off and on to install onto a 7500 (with 604/150
upgrade), an 8500 (with G3/250 upgrade) and occasionally a G4.  I've
been somewhat successful with the 1.5alpha CD-ROM image.

On the G4 with that CD I can boot cd:2,ofwboot.elf -a followed by
netbsd.gz and the kernel will boot.  However it does not configure
any disk devices (except the cd itself).  Therefore no way to do an
install.

On the 7500 I was able to boot with the early June floppy image and
run through the install using the 1.5a tarballs from the CD.  I
couldn't boot from the cd.  After the install I still couldn't boot
from the cd or the new disk.  I kept getting "No active package"
errors inside ofwboot until I turned off the nvramrc patches from
Apple's system disk utility.  Perhaps I goofed the editing inside
resedit, but I did the editing independently on the 8500 and have
been having similar boot problems there.

As an aside 1.5a gets much farther than the previous -current
snapshot did compiling ssh.  Still barfs though.  Would pkgsrc solve
this problem?  I've never had the hundreds of MB spare needed to
unpack the pkgsrc tar file so I've never used it, just binary
packages from Bob N's CD's.