Subject: Re: Boot Supermac C500
To: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Matthew Reilly <mjreilly@flashcom.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/08/2000 13:10:55
on 2/8/00 12:10 PM, Chris Tribo at talon16m@hotmail.com said something like:

> I honestly don't know why custom kernel's do this and generic kernels
> have no problem reading the boot device. To make it stop you'll have to edit
> your kernel configuration file and then recompile. There should be a line
> with something like:
>
> root at ? type ?            Which you should change to:
> root at wd0a type ffs
>
> The VAX and pmax ports do the same thing, so it's not just macppc. I
> guess it's figured that if you're compiling your own kernel, you know where
> you want your root file system at, and don't plan on changing it.

Thanks for the info Chris and Todd. I'll stick to the dated snapshots and
change the config file when I compile.

I just saw the Feb 8th snapshot on the ftp, maybe I'll grab that and start
over from scratch. If I install that snapshot, is there a problems if I
compile kernels with the current sources?

cheers,

Matthew Reilly