Subject: Re: Unable to start X
To: fission <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/11/1999 15:54:16
On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, fission wrote:

> Is there any way to do some debugging to try and find out exactly what
> Xmacppc is missing?  Would a core file help any?
>
> And could someone please tell me, exactly how does X on NetBSD/macppc
> work?  Do I need 'wscons' or something?

You've _got_ wscons. :-)

Make sure the X server is not suid/sgid, and try:

ktrace -i -t cns startx

You need to not have the suid-ness as that'll stop the ktracing. The "-i"
means children inherit the tracing. The "-t cns" means trace system
_C_alls, _N_amei translations (lookups), and _S_ignals.

Then do kdump > dump_file

Then edit dump_file. It will show all the calls startx and then the X
server made. Start from the bottom and work up. The bottom stuff will be
error clean up. Proceed up until you find a call which generated an error.
:-)

Take care,

Bill