Subject: Re: Problems Netbooting B&W G3
To: Cliff Crawford <cjc26@cornell.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/02/1999 09:55:22
Sorry, I thought I'd sent this yesterday..

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Cliff Crawford wrote:

> | What kind of scsi controller is it, exactly?
>
> Ultra2 LVD SCSI

Unfortunatly that's not supported. Adaptec won't give NetBSD the
documentation necessary to make a driver. For older products, NetBSD and
FreeBSD used the same driver, so Adaptec learned if they sent docs to a
certain FreeBSD developer, then FreeBSD and NetBSD got a driver. Well, the
driver that developer wrote for this card depends on a scsi driver
interface (specifically FreeBSD's CAM mid-layer) which NetBSD does not
have, thus his driver won't work on NetBSD. There are a number of reasons
why NetBSD won't just copy this CAM mid-layer.

Unfortunatly there's a bit of corporate memory at Adaptec, and so some of
them they still remember the FreeBSD developer as being the NetBSD
contact. :-(

Take care

Bill