Subject: Re: Booting beige G3 w/ OF 2.4
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/27/1999 17:48:44
> The one I know of is that if we boot off of the internal IDE, we have
> problems accessing the ide. It's something which happens due to the close
> routine in ofwboot. Well, OF does somethign in the ide close which we
> don't undo. I'm working on getting docs on this.

The problem happens if you tell the ofw "boot" command to boot from
pciide, not if you tell ofwboot to boot from pciide. (Well, maybe it
happens in both cases.)

But I don't think it has anything to do with the close routine in
ofwboot, because if you look carefully, you'll note that it doesn't
actually get used: the MI loadfile routine opens the kernel file, but
returns the file descriptor for the MD boot program to close itself,
which ofwboot never does. I was going to fix that bug once, but then
discovered that if I did close it, it made my SCSI card stop working.
:-}

-- Dan