Subject: Re: OF settings post-installation?
To: Geoffrey C Kinnel <Geoffrey.Kinnel@bms.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/18/1999 13:32:06
On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Geoffrey C Kinnel wrote:

> Sorry to be a gadfly here, but I'm puzzled by this. For
> installation, I boot into OF with auto-boot?=false,
> input-device=kbd and output-device=/chaos/control. Now, once I
> have a bootable kernel, I should be able to reset everything
> except boot-device to their defaults, right? Or do I need to keep
> input- and output- device as during install?

You need to have them pointing at whichever input device you want to use.
:-) We won't actually use the OF drivers for I/O, but we will use them to
figure out if we're on a serial console or not.

> When I reboot with input and output set to ttya, I see disk
> activity, then the screen initializes to a gray screen, but no
> text. Am I still thinking to Mac-ishly?

Yes. :-) For NetBSD, it's perfectly reasonable to have a machine running
w/o a screen, as a server. :-)

Take care,

Bill