Subject: Re: A question about "current"
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: J. David Blackstone <jdavidb@dfw.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/08/1999 00:38:13
SUNAGAWA Keiki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "Robert D. Billings" <rbilling@aros.net>  wrote:
>
> Robert> Mac68k does a much better job of making "current
> Robert> binary snapshots" available. Why can't macppc?
>
> Mainly lack of human resources, IMHO.  Especially for
> mac68k, Steve Allen had been making an effort to prepare the
> current snapshot in periodically.

  Keep in mind, this port is just barely over a year old.  Many if not
most of us on this list are only experimenting.  I've been following
the port since the day it was announced and still don't have a working installation.

  Once we get a larger installed user base, more stability, and more
supported devices (or at least, fewer device incompatibilities), maybe
we'll start seeing more regular snapshots like mac68k.  Meanwhile,
it's sort of like living on a frontier.  I kind of like it; it's
sometimes an adventure.

  For the time being, options for some of us could include unplugging
incompatible devices, installing on lower capacity devices (I'm trying
on a Zip disk), setting up a cross-compiler on a different box, or
running a cross-compiler under *BSD or Linux in VirtualPC.  Of course,
not all of these options are available for everybody, and some people
won't be able to take advantage of any.  Hopefully, things will be
changing in the future.