Subject: Making a disk bootable
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/26/1998 18:35:22
I've been playing with macppc on my G3 DT machine on and off over the last
few months.

Using a miniroot disk image, I have a bootable disk, which I can access from
the machine, when it is running Linux-ppc, which I have used for installing
kernels that I build under Linux. These kernels are bootable,
and with the latest mesh driver from nandra, I can actually access the disk.

However, I'm confused about how to prepare a new disk with a bootable
NetBSD root partition.

I've tried to partition the disk (a 105 MB Syquest in case it is relevant)
with a mix of several applications (Silverlining, pdisk under Linux, disklabel
under netbsd) and made file systems with newfs.

My problem is how to make the disk bootable. I've tried using installboot
and installing the boot code present in arch/macppc/stand, but without
success -- Open Firmware insists that the partition is not bootable.

Am I right in thinking that installboot is the way to go? Maybe some of
you (tsubai?) can sketch the commands to issue (and maybe send me a
copy of the bootblocks in case I've not built it correctly)?

I'm not really interested in destroying the bootable disk until I have
made the other disk bootable :-)

regards
Erik Bertelsen