Port-mac68k archive

Re: Booter for 9.3 kernel not working

On 24/01/2024 15:13, Martin Husemann wrote:

On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 06:49:48AM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
I was just about to ask about this? it?s somewhat distressing that the source code for such a critical portion of the boot process isn?t in the source tree.

Yes, it is bad that it isn't somwhere in a public repository and also needs
an ancient MacOS (upto 8) only toolchain to build - this all makes improvements
very hard.

We had this thread before and had folks trying to create a local working
build environment for it.

We probably could throw in some porting effort, is there any cross-toolchain
nowadays that could generate MacOS 8 or earlier binaries?

Funnily enough I've recently sent a few patches over to Retro68 (https://github.com/autc04/Retro68) which is basically gcc-12 for Classic 68k and PPC Macs so that a ready-to-run docker image gets built as part of the Github merge pipeline.

The reason for this is to allow us to build QEMU drivers via CI pipelines for accessing services on the host e.g. virtio-9p and virtio-tablet on both 68k/PPC MacOS - see https://github.com/elliotnunn/classicvirtio for more details.

ATB,

Mark.