Port-mac68k archive

Re: NetBSD 9.3 and 7.2 on a PowerBook 170

Hi,

I've been able to install (old-school) NetBSD-9.3 on a powerbook 160 with 8MB ram.

The kernel config was stripped of all unnecessary devices and filesystems except for ffs and tmpfs and cd9660. Even networking was disabled resulting in a kernel of about 1.6MB in size. This method will still work if the kernel is slightly larger no more than 2.0MB.

I made a cd filesystem of my mac68k destdir

It would be good to copy the sets you want to install somewhere in your destdir before you cut the cd.

(mkisofs -o output.iso -l -J -R -allow-leading-dots ./)

I could then boot this to single user setting cd0a as root and running rescue/init and bin/sh.

Swap should have been partitioned by you in Apple HD SC Setup, so run dislabel sd0, check the swap partition suffix (should be sd0b).

swapon /dev/sd0b right away as you'll need the swap memory.

So at this point you can newfs your hdd if requred, mount (say /mnt) it and use

pax -rw -pe to copy the files straight from the bootable cd to the hdd or run tar on the sets to the hdd.

It's as soon as possible run the MAKEDEV script on the hdd before you reboot (this will save about 600kB of memory).

At present though it is not possible to boot to multiuser with 8MB of memory and no swap enabled in early boot (root file system checks and mounting of drives) with 8MB of memory.

For my powerbook I'm hoping to get much further with the 10MB memory module I've ordered, altough this is not an option for the 170 (8MB max).

There is a missing 700kB when the kernel starts which I hope to find out why and fix that may help init get to multiuser, but I'm not certain.

This method can be used to install any version of NetBSD though.

I hope this helps,

Nat