Subject: Re: nonstandard bit depth possible?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/2005 16:27:19
On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 04:32:47PM -0600, Larson, Tim (Corporate) wrote:
> Is it possible to use nonstandard bit depths in X11 in general, and
> the mac68k color X server specifically?  I've got machines with 512kB
> VRAM, which should theoretically support 640x480x13, if 13-bit color
> is possible.  I've always wondered if the restrictions to 4-, 8-, 16-,
> 24-, and 32-bit depths was arbitrary or some limitation inherent in an
> algorithm used somewhere.  It would be kind of neat to squeeze more
> color out of the machine than was capable with the MacOS.

I doubt the video hardware is even capable of 13-bit color.  I've only
ever seen 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, and 24 bit depths, with 1-8 bits being
palettized.

13 bits would be a pain unless the CPU in question could either access
data on 13 bit boundaries natively, or the memory was "sparse" and had a
16-bit stride.  (most 24-bit modes have a 32-bit stride)

    The United States is the one true country.  The US is just.  The US
    is fair.  The US respects its citizens.  The US loves you.  We have
    always been at war against terrorism.