Subject: Re: sn0: receive FIFO overrun
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/21/2003 16:45:43
>Ok. What do you consider hung? Are you trying to fetch sites using a
>Windows system? If so, you may be misdiagnosing - Windows will time out
>even if a TCP/IP handshake is established.

Windows and Mac will sit for a while, and then time out.

>It sounds like a DNS problem. Is there any chance that Apache gets
>launched before BIND (or whatever DNS server) comes up? Or before your
>Internet connection is established, if you use remote DNS servers?

Humm... this could be. Maybe this machine reboots faster than my others,
and gets up and running before the DSL modem has finished handshaking.
Although it will also hang on occasion if I do a regular reboot, which
should rule out the DSL issue, but maybe not.

>When it's hung, what happens if you telnet to port 80 directly? What
>happens if you wait a few minutes?

Don't know about telnet to 80, I'll give that a try the next time. As for
waiting, it does wait... for hours. We have regular power outages here.
Almost always during the night or weekends (its really a problem with the
building power, but the local utility company refuses to fix the bad
transformer). I usually find out the server is hung because my web site
won't be running when I get in to work in the morning. So by then, it has
sat for a number of hours in that state.

>That's "normal". The motherboard ethernet only has 16k of buffering, so
>sometimes it happens

Ok, so its nothing to worry about, and I can cross it off my Apache
problem list. That was really what I wanted to know.

Now I can continue looking into the Apache problem (which I'm not
convinced is an Apache problem directly, so much as something else
blocking it... since the Apache error logs don't indicate any problems).

I think I may persue the thought of it being a timing problem bringing
the server up before the DSL line is back up fully. I may simulate a few
power outages to see what's going on.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

w + p =3D -=83