Subject: Re: Kernel 1.6 and IDE support
To: Martin Trautmann <traut@gmx.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/2003 08:50:10
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Martin Trautmann wrote:

> what's the latest approach to run NetBSD from an IDE drive? mkfs,
> installer and booter all do expect a SCSI drive.

The latest booter works fine for IDE. NetBSD 1.6.1 missed out, but you
can get the files that will probably be in NetBSD 2.0 from here:

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/installation/misc/

The installer and Mkfs probably never will support IDE. Use
"sysinstall" from a recent snapshot.

> I managed to partition a 750 MB HD on a PowerBook 190 (CPU 68LC040, 66
> MHz, PMMU integrated, FPU none, 32 MB RAM) in 150 MB Mac, 200 MB for root,
> 64 MB for swap and > 300 MB for usr.

> Did anyone manage to install NetBSD on a PowerBook 190 (or similar) yet?
> It's not named in the list of supported, nor unsupported devices.

I don't know, but I suggest a current INSTALL kernel with the latest
Booter. That way, you'll quickly discover if your hardware is going to
be supported at all, and even if it's not, the latest Booter permits
lying to the kernel about what model you have, so you can experiment
and perhaps get something that works.

Frederick