Subject: Re: pb150 hdd
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/2003 21:41:20
on 3/7/03 3:50 PM, Frederick Bruckman at fredb@immanent.net wrote:

> I believe you still can't run a GENERIC kernel with only 4mb RAM,
> maybe not even 8mb. I would like to add some kernels suitable for low
> RAM machines to the standard build, if anyone would like to report
> what works for them. SMALLRAM is a good start, but it's for '030 only,
> and it's not even built as part of the release.

I will be eager to test.
I can report that NetBSD 1.6 doesn't even install on my MacII (68020 with 8
MB of ram). It boots using the generic kernel, but during the uncompression
of the PAX archives it fails miserably.
But, isntalled frrom another mac, it runs then fine with 8mb of ram. A more
tuned kernel (no ide support and some other small things) got smaller and
works fine.
I never got a boot on 4mb of ram (my PB 140...) and either a kernel can be
stribbed quite down, or a standard 1.6 kernel would just be overkill. You
would start swapping by launching VI

Ric