Subject: scsi
To: mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: elliot schlegelmilch <elliot@esus.cs.montana.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/11/2002 17:16:27
Hi. I'm new to the list, and some time ago aquired a powerbook 160. It
only has 4 meg of ram. I have not yet attempted to install netbsd, and
also, figured I would need to borrow a machine that has 8 meg to install
with. However, I finally figured out a purpose for this box. The trouble
is, as i read recently, the display is unsupported and I must use a serial
console. That in it self isn't a problem, except I was planning on linking
up to my NAT machine with a 'hardline' ppp connection. So then after a bit
of searching, I came to my two solutions. scsi-ethernet adapter. searching
for the cabletron style for sale anywhere revealed nothing.  then the
other brand xxx/xercom or something. is a driver still in progress? or
operative?  then someone else said a local computer store has a box of
such adapters for a fair price.
the second way was the appletalk-ethertalk converter box. is netbsd smart
enough to talk through one of these?
if it pleases you, could someone bring me up to speed on my outlook for
this, well, interesting laptop?

thanks,
elliot