Subject: Re: Mac II be or not II be?
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/20/2001 11:08:48
On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Andy Ball wrote:

: Someone recently lobbed in my general direction a Mac II
: that turned out to be fitted with a Daystar 68030 based
: processor upgrade.  I'm not sure that it's something I'd
: want to do, but I'm wondering whether such a creature is
: capable of running NetBSD/mac68k.  The upgrade does not have
: a 68882 on board, but has a PGA socket for one.

Hm.  I have one of those upgrade boards that isn't in a Mac.  The
NetBSD/mac68k FAQ pages list these as working, but there are notes that you
may have to disable the cache in the MacOS boot partition.  There's still an
open PR about the cache (port-mac68k/6112).

: Do all Mac IIs have the 68851 PMMU?

No, but the 68030 on the Daystar board has a built-in PMMU and does not
depend on the presence of a 68851.

: Would NetBSD be happier on this machine if I removed the 68030 upgrade?

I'm pretty sure that the on-board '020 would be slower than the Daystar
'030, even without the Daystar's external cache being enabled.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/