Subject: Re: Kernel 1.5-32 and Quadra 700 -- Problems
To: Hauke Fath , <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Boone <Scott@ScottBoone.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/2001 14:08:35
On 3/12/01 2:25 AM, "Hauke Fath" <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE> wrote:

> At 6:17 Uhr +0100 12.3.2001, Scott Boone wrote:
>> I am getting this error VERY frequently (actually, I whole bunch of ones
>> SIMILAR to it, I just grabbed this as an example):
>>
>> sd0(esp0:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x0a 00 2c 10 10 00
>>    SENSE KEY:  Recovered Error
>>   INFO FIELD:  11292
>> COMMAND INFO:  3604808 (0x370148)
>>     ASC/ASCQ:  Peripheral Device Write Fault
>>         SKSV:  Actual Retry Count: 1
>>
>> The Check Condition statement varies, but the majority end in 10 10 00. Is
>> there a possible pattern here? My termination and cabling are fine. The
>> drive is an Apple-OEMed IBM. I had 0 problems running 1.4 before moving to
>> 1.5.
>
> This is -current, right?

Yes, this is running the Feb 28 snapshot kernel...but I was getting the same
thing under the Feb 21 kernel. I haven't tried your kernel, but will. Do you
have any idea what this error is even saying? I'm going out on a limb to
think that it is saying that the kernel had to retry a write (I've seen the
error with as many as 4 retries) I don't know what it is saying though.

>> It is rather disturbing that 1.5-release WOULDN'T EVEN BOOT my Q700, and
>> even more disturbing that nothing was mentioned in the FAQ about such a
>> limitation. Isn't that what the FAQ is for? [January 25, 2001 mac68k list]
>
> You're probably right in that serious problems with -release should
> probably qualify as FAQ entries. Ping Colin Wood, he's the FAQ maintainer...
>
> Nevertheless, for this class of problems, searching the mailing-list
> archives is worth while: The Q700 issue was discussed at length.
>
> To quote myself (25.1.01):
>
> | Here we go:
> |
> | http://www.tangro.de/~hf/macbsd/  (item 6)
> |
> | http://www.tangro.de/~hf/macbsd/netbsd-kern-151-alpha.tar.gz
> |
> | is a mac68k 1.5.1ALPHA GENERICSBC kernel without sunos compat.
> | It has the pr#11000 fix and Allen's esp performance update.
>
>> Or should I just say screw it and reinstall the 1.4 release and forget about
>> 1.5 altogether?
>
> Don't mix up -current and 1.5... The kernel abov should work fine for you.

I'll install your kernel and try it...how different is it from the snapshot
stuff?

And thanks, Hauke.

--
Scott Boone