Subject: Re: Formatting a drive
To: David Rogers" , "port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/2001 07:05:24
David Rogers wrote:

>I've got a 4 gig drive that I want to use for my /usr partition.
>
>First thing: How do I format a drive from within NetBSD?

The low-level format has to be done outside of NetBSD.  The
initialization of the filesystem can be done with either Mkfs or from
within NetebSD with newfs.

>Second: Would the 4 gig partition even work given the current state of the
>OS?

Large partitions have worked with NetBSD/mac68k since aroudn the 1.1
days.  I've had filesystems as large as 18Gig on my system without any
problems.  What seems to give people problems is using the Installer to
place files on these large filesystems.  If you stay within NetBSD you
won't have any difficulties.

However, you won't be able to partition the disk under MacOS on a 68k Mac
with partitions larger than 4Gig.  You'll have to either do this on a PPC
Mac or use pdisk.

-bob