Subject: Re: NTP on Quadra 840AV
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/2001 08:24:51
> However, I quite wanted it to be a time server (just for the Macs in
> the office).
>
> Having searched the archives, I now see that this is a Bad Idea (TM). The
> Quadra 840AV loses time horribly (about 5 minutes or more an hour).
> However.....
>
> The problem is, I can't even get ntpd to work properly.
>
> However, I also want to install NetBSD on an LC III.

It is my understanding that since the time on the Macs is kept by some
interrupt that is of such low priority that it gets skipped quite often.
Whatever the specifics, the time slew is great, especially when you are
doing heavy activity like compiling.

Although this flies in the face of the ntpd(ate) software's instructions,
the best thing to do is to forget about ntpd and put ntpdate into root's
cronjob.

Regarding the LCIII, it has the same problem, too, so syncing off of
another local source would be a better idea if you have any non-Mac
computer to put NetBSD on.

Good luck,
John Klos