Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD 1.5 on Mac68k
To: Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
From: Daniel Parks <daniel@mwdesign.dyndns.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/2000 17:35:42
At 4:11 PM -0800 12/14/2000, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>Right.  You can't reformat the partition that the formatter (or it's
>OS) is running from.

Well, this is kind of insane, but you *could* use pdisk to
repartition that hard drive... the only problem is that there are no
guarantees as to where the MacOS System Folder is located... so you
would probably end up with a system that would have to be booted from
a floppy or another hard drive.

On the other hand, if you have SpeedDisk you could tell it to
"optimize for disk resizing" and then you could pull it off without
booting from a floppy. I think I've done this on a PPC system, but
I'm not sure...

I think you could also do something similar with the partitioner in sysinst.

If you can put the booter and a disk tools system folder on a floppy,
you might be able to boot that way.

You can get pdisk from Bob's site: http://murphy.dyndns.org/NetBSD/Index.html

This is probably not the recommended way of doing things. ;-)

Daniel