Subject: Re: Quadra 950 status
To: Philip Brodd <pbrodd@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
From: Tony Mantler <nicoya@apia.dhs.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/24/2000 07:25:38
At 4:10 PM -0500 5/23/2000, Philip Brodd wrote:
>I just inherited a Quadra 950, but now I'm a bit deflated after reading
>about its support on the Mac68k site.
>
>Has there been significant progress since the June 26, 1999 news that the
>Q950 is usable from the serial console?  Where can I read more about
>setting up NetBSD on this machine (and how to install a serial console)?
>
>And who at Apple should I lobby to release the secret information about
>this series? :^)

Just as a quick note, the 950 (and 900 and IIfx) are supported in
recent-ish 2.2 linux kernels. I think the only thing that doesn't work is
trivial unimportant stuff like Floppy and Sound (Though Joshua M Thompson,
the fellow who wrote all the IOP support, did write a floppy driver that
could probably be coerced into actually working) and the external scsi bus
(there's a think-o somewhere in the SCSI driver that would be easy to fix
if I actually *had* a 950).

Anyways, go ahead and steal the drivers, you won't hurt my feelings. :)

Cheers - Tony :)

--
Tony Mantler       Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire     nicoya@apia.dhs.org
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada                     http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/