Subject: Re: System freeze on First Boot
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: AstroZomby <astrozomby@antisocial.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/11/2000 13:09:34

----
>>  Jim Yanko                "Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
>
>Jim,
>
>In the booter do you have the box checked for "Serial Console on" ?  If so
un-check
>it and see what happens.  -Mark

The box for serial console was not checked actually.  There are no serial
devices connected to the machine as it has the intended use of a simple
router/game server, not to mention a learning experience.

I've tried switching a few settings in the booter regarding the monitor
settings, or anything else I could think of, but nothing seems to make
sense as to why it freezes at that point.

Now that I think of it.  Is the action to follow that statement "So I sez
to him, the way..." isn't that when the SCSI is supposed to be reset?

If so, this could be an issue.  I noticed that for some reason, my SyQuest
135Mb and Zip Drive were both trying to use ID 6 no matter what they were
set to. Zip was set to 5, Syquest to 6, internal HD to 0.

I tried resetting the ID's on those guys, but it would only recognize one
of them, on ID 6...
Maybe I should try the whole process without any external SCSI devices
hooked up?

Also, the Ethernet Card I have in there is an Asante MacCon Ethernet (or
something to that effect)  I have to run TattleTech again to get the Rev #
and such.  But I won't be back at that machine again till next week!  Wah!

Anyhow.  Perhaps I've said something here that will help someone know what
I am talking about?

-Jim