Subject: Getting a Laserwriter to work with NetBSD
To: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
From: Herb Singleton <hsingleton@flashcom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/08/1999 22:08:00
How I got a Laserwriter (specifically, a Laserwriter IINTx) to work with
NetBSD via serial port (assumed to be /dev/tty01):

1. Make sure Laserwriter is set for serial communications

2. Get thee over to the Linux Printing HOWTO guide
http://ftp.yggdrasil.com/bible/howtos/printing_toc.html and read

3. create a file (I called it /usr/local/libexec/ifo) with the following:
          #!/bin/sh
         echo if: $* >> /var/spool/lpd/results
         cat >> /dev/tty01
         echo -n \\f >> /dev/tty01

Note: the Linux version uses echo -ne; however the NetBSD version doesn't
seem to support the -e switch.

4.  Test your script using /usr/local/libexec/ifo < somefile.ps

5.  In the printcap, create the following entry:
         lp|laserwriter:\
                 :lp=/dev/null:sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
                 :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
                 :if=/usr/local/libexec/ifo:

Now *theoriically* lpr should now work... in my case, I had to make my
/dev/tty01 port world readable for it to work (does this create any
security problems?).

Anyway, that's it. Any comments?

Herb

Herb Singleton