Subject: Re: Macintosh IIx
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/08/1999 22:06:39
Ben Mesander <bam@dimensional.com> wrote:

Ben> At 5:40 PM -0700 11/2/99, Wonko the Sane (Brian
Ben> Hechinger) wrote:

>> what is the real-world speed of a 16Mhz 68030 with 8MB
>> ram?

8MB of RAM is not sufficient if you want to run X server on
your machine.  It just works, but significantly slow due to
paging overhead to the harddrive.

Ben> It took 3 days to compile a netbsd kernel on my se/30
Ben> with 8M. Upgrading to more ram (I have 68M now) helps a
Ben> bit, but it's not that speedy.

Why not just use mfs for /tmp?  Though I don't have any data
to compare with, it might help speeding up some, anyway.

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
Hack on NetBSD, and your code runs on over 20 architectures!