Subject: Disk tools
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Larry Kollar <Larry.Kollar@arris-i.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/1999 13:55:35
I started playing with a slightly impaired SCSI drive last night
(Connor 540MB with a big chunk of bad blocks in the middle). First
thing I tried was "apropos disk" and got a bunch of listings, including
many pages that don't actually exist -- like drtest(8). Several man
pages also refer to non-existant commands, like format(8).

Worse, I tried using scsictl on sd1 (the bad drive). Immediately after
accessing sd1, it tried doing something to sd0 (the boot drive) and
the whole system hung up.

I was able to do a bad block check, up to the first bad block, using
"dd skip=xxx count=yyy < /dev/sd1a >/dev/null" although it would have
been nice to find something to do a complete bad block scan.

The "disk toast" thread has been interesting reading, especially since
the original poster also seems to have some bad block trouble. Doing a
low-level format, as suggested in "disk toast," might work for me --
are there any NetBSD utilities that can do it, or do I have to drop
back to MacOS?

(Yes, I'm aware that a half-hosed drive could go completely, but I
don't plan to use it for more than a couple of scratch partitions.
Besides, it's a good way to learn some recovery skills.)

	Larry