Subject: Re: MacOS system software problems? (yes, this is on topic)
To: Ryan Ordway <sammael@pacifier.com>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/26/1999 13:04:50

> 	How dependent is NetBSD on the MacOS setting things up?
> I had a piecemeal 7.6 system installed before on a 20MB HFS
> partition on my 250MB hard disk, so I was wondering if installing
> a "full" 7.5 system might fix my problems.

	The Booter checks all the MacOS junk that it can before it
uses it (lots of Gestalt calls), but there may be something missing.
I know some people have reported problems booting under installs of
MacOS 7.6, which is one of the few MacOS versions I don't have
(and therefore haven't tested under).

	There may also be some things that the kernel doesn't reset
properly (e.g. memory map) which could cause what you are seeing.

	My first suggestion would actually be doing a clean install
of the MacOS version you have. There may be something screwy there.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au | "reality  is  that  which  |
|  Telstra IN&IND, Sydney, Australia.   |  doesn't go away when you  |