Subject: Re: sudo error?
To: William Carrel <n9640093@cc.wwu.edu>
From: Ben Zeller <zelr_ss@troi.cc.rochester.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/19/1999 16:43:25

> > yak% sudo vi rc.conf
> > Sorry, sudo must be setuid root.
> > yak%
> >
> > The permissions on sudo are:
> >
> > -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  57344 Mar 18 16:15 sudo
> >
> > This looks right to me.  The pertinant section of the sudoers file lists:
>
> Nope, it needs setuid permissions.  chmod 4550 sudo would be my recommendation.
> Giving the world execute on su stuff gives me the shakes, even if it is rock
> solid...  Put yourself in wheel, and use ssh...
>
> Use secure shell!  'ssh'  It's in the packages collection.  Then no passwords
> go across the network in plaintext (like with telnet and similarly
> security-braindead protocols).  You might as well transmit your root password
> if you transmit the password of an account that can garner root access (like
> 'su').

Thanks for the advice, after I chmod'd sudo everything worked fine.  I must
have inadvertantly changed its permissions when I cleaned up after my pico
install.  In terms of ssh, that's a very good program.  It was the very
first package I installed, and I never log in without it :) Next I am
installing tripwire.  I notice that tcpwrappers is not in the package
collection.  I know I can download the source from CERT, has anyone had
problems compiling their source?

Ben