Subject: Re: sudo error?
To: Ben Zeller <zelr_ss@troi.cc.rochester.edu>
From: William Carrel <n9640093@cc.wwu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/19/1999 13:27:56
> yak% sudo vi rc.conf
> Sorry, sudo must be setuid root.
> yak%
>
> The permissions on sudo are:
>
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  57344 Mar 18 16:15 sudo
>
> This looks right to me.  The pertinant section of the sudoers file lists:

Nope, it needs setuid permissions.  chmod 4550 sudo would be my recommendation.
Giving the world execute on su stuff gives me the shakes, even if it is rock
solid...  Put yourself in wheel, and use ssh...

In any case you can simply chmod u+s to give it suid privileges.

> Thanks for any help that anyone can give me.  I would rather not have to use
> su and send my root passwd across the network ;)

Use secure shell!  'ssh'  It's in the packages collection.  Then no passwords
go across the network in plaintext (like with telnet and similarly
security-braindead protocols).  You might as well transmit your root password
if you transmit the password of an account that can garner root access (like
'su').

Good luck, hope this helps...

William Carrel