Subject: Strange disk-related error on boot
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: William R. Dickson <wrd@awenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/1999 00:32:42
Greetings,

I've just added two disks to my NetBSD machine (a Centris 650).

sd0 is partitioned; a=root&usr, g=usr.
sd1 is a single usr partition (g)
sd2 is a single usr partition (g)

If I boot into single-user mode, type "mount -a", and then exit, it
continues to boot into multi-user mode and everything works just fine.

However, if I try to boot straight into multi-user mode, allowing the disks
to mount themselves, the system hangs after announcing that /dev/rsd0g is
clean and won't be checked.  Usually it simply hangs silently, but last
time I got the following error:

Panic: pmap_alloc_pv:pgi_nfree inconsistent
Stopped at     _Debugger+0x6:unlk    96

All filesystems are clean; they all function perfectly if I mount them
manually before entering multi-user mode.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Bill

--
 William R. Dickson -- Consuming the Earth's limited resources since 1968
 wrd@awenet.com   < >   http://www.awenet.com/~wrd/   < >   ICQ: 14117523

     In fact, when you get right down to it, almost every explanation
     Man came up with for *anything* until about 1926 was stupid.

                                            - Dave Barry