Subject: Re: PPP
To: Paul Thompson <paul@abyss.co.nz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/1999 14:00:50
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Paul Thompson wrote:

> I have recently changed ISP, The new ISP doesn't appear to use the standard
> login screen. The old ISP just used a std login screen. The new ISP looks
> like its compressed or encrypted. I have rung the help desk but they don't
> know :-) Don't you hate that, and the tech support was busy and hasn't rung
> back.
>
> How do I tell what I need to know to configure pppd to connect to the new
> ISP?

No doubt they're using PAP, or CHAP. You need to create an
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets, and/or /etc/ppp/chap-secrets. The simplest one
would be one line:

username	*	password	*

...with the appropriate substitutions, of course. Both files have the
same format--see pppd(8). Also, if the terminal server really has no
plain text greeting at all, then you will need to truncate your chat
script right after the `CONNECT\s', so {PAP, CHAP}  can kick in.