Subject: Re: xemacs and netbsd
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/24/1998 19:58:33
At 16:15 Uhr +0100 24.11.1998, Ken Nakata wrote:

>You could try the package xemacs-20 (or whatever the latest version in
>pkgsrc), although my experience with xemacs-20 is less than
>satisfactory.  Especially it would die on me with "Memory Exhausted"
>message after certain amount of normal use.  I just gave up on it and
>went back to emacs-20, instead.

20.4 has been rock solid for me, definitely more so than 19.16, and it's
faster, too.

>Although it looked pretty cool, Xemacs-20 was unbearably slow on a
>68040@40MHz with 48Mbytes of RAM.  I wouldn't even try to run it on a
>68030 at any clock rate.

If you run it via gnuclient (or the editclient.sh script), it is workable
even on a IIci. I am forced to use NTEmacs (based on GNU Emacs) at work,
and I can't wait for XEmacs 21. I'd never go back.

But that's how it is with editors. Anyone using vi, pico, ed, WORDSTAR 3,
EDLIN out there?

;)

	hauke