Subject: Re: UN*X for PPC
To: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/22/1998 22:45:47
On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, Joe Laffey wrote:

> Anyone want to recommend a flavor of Un*x or Linux for PPC? I just bought
> a G3 Powerbook for home and I want to use my 225 604e 7300 as a server
> now.
>
> I tried MkLinux DR2 a while back for a short time, but I did not have
> hardware to run it on.

Oof.  Yeah, the 7300 became suported correctly a little after 2.1, I
think, but only with System 7.6 or later... 7.5.x had trouble, as I
recall... a conflict between the booter extension and a display
enabled....

> I am looking at LinuxPPC and MkLinux DR3. Anyone
> have any comments about stability, ease of installation, etc.? I
> understand NetBSD for PPC is not in a useable state as of yet.

As a regular kernel hacker for MkLinux (globegate hosts the cvs tree,
too), i'm a bit prejudiced towards it, but LinuxPPC does have internal
modem support on the G3 PowerBoks, while MkLinux doesn't yet, so...
anyway, you can always install both into the same partition, as
essentially all the userland for either is compatible with the other (the
clock binary from MkLinux should be replaced with the LinuxPPC version if
you plan to boot both, but otherwise...).  It's probably easier to install
MkLinux, slightly, though with BootX, it's hard to say....

Another thing.. you don't have to feel like you're abandoning your BSD
roots with MkLinux, as the Mach Kernel borrows a sizable amount of driver
code from NetBSD, FreeBSD, and friends.  :-)

Later,
david

David A. Gatwood                         Visit globegate's internet
dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu                  talker, Deep Space 36
http://globegate.utm.edu                telnet globegate.utm.edu:9624