Subject: Re: -current kernel problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/1998 06:56:28
On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 06:01:37PM -0500, Allen Briggs wrote:
> I'm not getting GENERIC or a custom config'd kernel to boot on my Q700
> at the moment.  They don't make it out of the fsck stage (I do have two
> drives active in the system).  I'm going to be looking into this some
> more, but I don't have a lot of free time--just wanted to add a data
> point right now.  This is a -current as of a day or two ago, compiled
> with a -current system built a while back.

This may or may not be related:

About a week ago, I had some problems that showed up as not being able
to run various programs (no permission). Apparently, what happened was,
that all partitions were mounted noexec (and no-alot-of-of-other things)
during rc processing. Running mount and fsck in single user mode was Ok,
but booting to multi-user was not. Most of the times, fsck would complete
when run in single user mode, but not always. Rebuilding the libraries
and mount (and probably mount_ffs as well) cured the problem for me.

Other than that I've been running -current on my Q610 happily ever since
the signal breaking/fixing some time ago. Both my kernel and userland
follow -current quite closely, and the time window to expose my problem
was only a few (maybe one) day(s).

- Erik