Subject: Re: IPNat and Ethernet
To: Mark de Jong , NetBSD Digest <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1998 09:45:12
At 11:09 PM -0800 11/4/98, Mark de Jong wrote:
>Is there anyway to use IP-Nat on NetBSD without the need for two ethernet
>cards?

That's an interesting question.  Nobody has proposed doing it this way, but
maybe. . .

First get everything working with the cable modem to the *BSD Mac under MacOS.

Then get it working under *BSD using DHCP.

Then you get to the unknown part:

It is possible to have a single interface understand two different IP
addresses.  I believe man ifaliases is the place to look;  also man
ifconfig.  It may be possible to have your single interface understand both
the DHCP address and some local address range like 192.168.1.x.  Make sure
the default route is through the cable modem (and the corresponding IP
number).  The machine should route the 192... addresses correctly since
that is a more specific route than the default.

As long as the aliases are correctly understood by the system the absence
of real distinct hardware should not prevent the network code from doing
what you want.  The ringer for me is what DHCP does.  I have no expeience
there and no Cable modem to try it out on.