Subject: Re: HFSUTILS
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/03/1998 23:16:26
>> So far, the corruption problem got fixed.  Rob posted a 3.2.4
>> release...I've been using it for three weeks, on a daily basis;
>> frequent disk scans of the mac volume...not a *single* problem!  In
>> this regard, I'd say it's *way* more stable.
>
>Cool.
>
><snip>
>I'm not sure about the crashes, but the fs corruption extends to other
>platforms.  We've had trouble under MkLinux using hfsutils, but it's still
>better at writing than MkLinux's in-kernel support, as hfsutils' damage is
>at least usually repairable....

Shortly after making that post, I found the newer version (3.2.6).  Much
faster than 3.2.4, 3 hours and no corruption yet....

Oddly enough, I tried it out while X was running--and it didn't bomb!
Unfortunately, the next time I used it with x, it did....

I'm going to have to go pattern hunting...

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu