Subject: Re: Swap Questions (was Re: Error lines booting Q700)
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Andrew James ROBBIE <ajrobb@students.cs.mu.OZ.AU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/29/1998 17:42:58
Ken Nakata said:

> With Solaris tempfs, swap and /tmp can share a single partition.  This
> often leads to the situation where you can't run anything other than
> cat and ls, because of an idiot who forgot to remove his stupid files
> in /tmp.

Indeed, this is a real problem if you are short on disk space and
have lots of users. However, since my /tmp and /home are on the same
partition, filling up /tmp will make lots of things using /home break
even though users are under quota. Of course, this is just my personal
computer: when /tmp fills up it probably because of some program of
mine.

> Trying to mail sysadmin to ask them to remove the files
> would only make you realize there was not enough swap space for your
> editor to start.
Well, solaris lets you use only some of swap as your tempfs. Ie, 2*500MB
swap drives, average + 2sd utiliation of 80%, means you can probably use
150MB as /tmp without any trouble.
(Anyway, why needs an editor? Just cat it to a file :-)

> Sometimes even /usr/ucb/mail fails not because of
> lack of swap space but because of lack of space in /tmp.  Quite
> annoying IMO.

Can't you set some environment variable to tell it to use /var/tmp ?

cya,
Andrew

--
a.robbie@ugrad.unimelb.edu.au